St Paul's School Serious Case Review

What is the serious case review and what will it enquire into?

Richmond Safeguarding Children Board are carrying out a serious case review (SCR) under the auspices of statutory child protection guidance (Working Together to Safeguard Children 2015). The decision to conduct the review was taken because there were concerns about how well different agencies and professionals had worked together to safeguard pupils some pupils at the school: it is now known that some children were sexually abused in the period 1974-1992 and another child is understood to have been emotionally abused from 2003-2005.

The period under review is 1960 to the date on which the recommendation was made to conduct a SCR (which was 19.04.17).  The review aims to understand what abuse children suffered, what opportunities existed to investigate it, and what the responses of the relevant agencies were at the time. This includes understanding what aspects of the culture of schools helps to keep pupils safe and what may get in the way. Naturally, we wish to identify lessons which will improve the safety of pupils both at St Paul’s and other educational establishments.

How can I contact the review?

The review is being led by Edina Carmi, independent chair, and Jane Wonnacott, lead reviewer. Please contact them via the single point of contact if there is any information relevant to the review that you would like to share. The single point of contact for this review is Sian Davies who can be contacted at 

For more information on how we will treat the information you share, you can download a confidentiality statement here.

Who can I contact for support?

If you or members of your family, or friends and colleagues have been affected by the impact of child sexual abuse, directly or indirectly, and would like some help or support, there are a number of ways that you can do this. You may wish to speak to your GP who can refer you locally for counselling. There is also a range of ways in which you can find out more, or seek help and support: over the phone, face to face or online. Here are two suggestions of organisations to contact:

The National Association for People Abused in Childhood (NAPAC) offers support to adult survivors of all types of childhood abuse. NAPAC can be accessed nationally.

The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) also has the following webpages which may be helpful:

How can I report allegations to the police?

Allegations in respect of abuse at St Paul’s School should be reported to the police Operation Winter Key. The police can be contacted by telephone on 020 8217 6582 or email at